PROFILE OF PHARMACEUTICAL ASSOCIATION OF MALAYSIA (PhAMA)
- The Pharmaceutical Association of Malaysia (PhAMA) was registered in 1972.
- Today, the Association represents the interests of 40 member companies and 5 associate members (click here to view online membership directory).
- Members of the Association consist of importers, distributors and manufacturers of medicines and covers both local concerns and multinational corporations.
- The affairs of the Association are managed by the Board of Directors consisting of thirteen members, namely the President, 2 Vice Presidents, an Immediate Past-President , 8 Board Directors and 1 Executive Director.
- Eleven Board members are elected to office bi-annually (i.e. every 2 years). The President and 2 Vice-Presidents are elected by the Board members from amongst themselves. The president of the previous term stays on automatically as the past-President and a thirteenth member is appointed to join the Board.
- The Association is affiliated to the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Association (IFPMA) and also World Self-Medication Industry (WSMI).
IFPMA members are companies manufacturing and marketing ethical products while members of the WSMI are those manufacturing and marketing Over-The-Counter (OTC) pharmaceuticals products. Both bodies are non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and are affiliated to the World Health Organisation (WHO).